A Map of His Majesty’s Roads from Edinburgh to Inverness, Fort Augustus & Fort William and of the counties adjacent thereto. Most humbly dedicated to His Royal Highness William Augustus Duke of Cumberland, and Duke of Brunswick Lunenberg &c. &c. &c. Captain General of all His Maj[est]ies Land Forces in the Kingdom of Great Britain by His Royal Highness’s most Faithfull & most Obedient Servant R[ich]ard Cooper.
- Author: COOPER, Richard
- Publication place: [Edinburgh
- Publication date: c.1746]
- Physical description: Engraved map, elaborate title cartouche upper left.
- Dimensions: 640 by 500mm. (25.25 by 19.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12248
Richard Cooper (?1701–1764) was a draughtsman, painter, engraver and publisher working in Edinburgh. Born in London he studied under John Pine, one of the leading engravers in Georgian London. In 1729, after touring Italy he accompanied the Scottish artist Alexander Guthrie to Edinburgh, where he founded the Edinburgh School of St Luke, the earliest academy for artists in Scotland, and the Edinburgh school of engraving.
Rare we are only able to trace three institutional examples: the BL; the NLS; and Harvard College Library.