Rare manuscript plan of the battle of Parma 1734.
Plan du Champ de Bataille de Parme.
- Publication date: 29th June, 1734.
- Physical description: Manuscript plan with fine original hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen, key below plan.
- Dimensions: 770 by 530mm (30.25 by 20.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2780
The Battle of Parma, also known as the Battle of Crocetta or the Battle of San Pietro was a battle fought on June 29, 1734, between troops of France and Sardinia on one side, and Habsburg Austrian troops on the other, as part of the War of Polish Succession, between the village of La Crocetta and the city of Parma, then in the Duchy of Parma. Austrian troops assaulted an entrenched Franco-Sardinian position, and were ultimately repulsed, due in part to the death of their commander, Florimund Mercy, and the wounding of his second in command, Frederick of Württemberg. Both sides suffered significant casualties in the battle, which lasted for most of the day.
The Austrian army is depicted to the north with the infantry marked yellow, and the cavalry green. The French army lie to the south with the cavalry and dragoons blue, and the infantry red. The plan shows the first, third, and forth phases of the battle, with a manuscript over-slip showing the second. A note below the plan provides detailed information about the battle.
Charles Louis d’Albert de Luynes (1717–1771) was a French nobleman and member of the House of Albert. He was the fifth Duke of Luynes as well as Duke of Chevreuse.
He took part in the war in 1733 in the War of the Polish Succession. He also took part in campaigns in 1735 and 1745, the latter in the War of the Austrian Succession, and was injured in combat at Sahay at the head of the Dragoons. He participated in the attack of Prague in 1742, and also assisted in various sieges and battles of the era.
In 1754, he was created a Colonel General of the Dragoons. From 1757 to 1771, he was the Gouverneur de Paris (Military governor of Paris), an ancient and prestigious rank representing the king in the capital. He also was created a Knight of the Order of the Holy Spirit at Versailles on 2 February 1759.
He died in Paris in his Hôtel. He was buried at the Chapelle de Saint Jean l’Évangeliste at the Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris.