Rare large-scale plan of Westminster dedicated to William Buckland
By COOKE, Thomas, 1847
To the Very Reverend William Buckland, D.D. Dean of Westminster… This Map of the City and Liberty of Westminster Is with their Permission Most Respectfully Inscribed by their very obedient, Humble Servant Tho. Cooke.
- Author: COOKE, Thomas
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Published bt J. Wyld, Geographer to the Queen, Charing Cross East
- Publication date: Feby., 1847.
- Physical description: Hand-coloured lithograph map, dissected and mounted on linen, title and dedication lower right, list of public buildings lower left, edged in green silk, a few tears to linen.
- Inventory reference: 2534
The map is dedicated to among others, William Buckland the famous geologist and palaeontologist, who had been appointed Dean of Westminster by Sir Robert Peel in 1845.
Rare: we are only able to trace one institutional example of the present plan; in the British Library.
- BL Cartographic Items Maps Crace Port. 11.5