Rare Hoffman Imprint of Sanson’s map of the Balkans
By HOFFMAN, Johann [after] SANSON, Nicolas, 1689
Eine gantz neu Vorstellung aller der an und um die Donau…
- Author: HOFFMAN, Johann [after] SANSON, Nicolas
- Publication place: Nuremberg
- Publisher: Johan Hoffman
- Publication date: c.1664–1689
- Physical description: Engraved map on three sheets joined, loss to lower right portion of map, skilfully repaired in facsimile.
- Dimensions: 550 by 1140mm (21.75 by 45 inches).
- Inventory reference: 10750
The map is based upon Nicolas Sanson’s large two sheet map: ‘Le Royaume de Hongrie et les Estats qui en ont este Sujets’. The map has been extended to the west to include Northern Italy and Central Europe.
Not much is known about Hoffman who was born in Frankenberg, Saxony, 17th March 1629, the son of Valentin Hoffman. He was often in trouble with the authorities in Nuremberg for various illegal activities including plagiarism. His earliest works were published in 1664; the latest accoring to Tooley appears to be 1689. He has no inhibitions about copying other cartographer’s work.
Rare OCLC records only three institutional examples: the University Library of Dresden; the Bavarian State Library; and the Nuremberg University Library.