Rare Embossed Geological map of England and Wales
By DOBBS & Co, 1843
Dobbs & Co.‘s Relievo Maps, Drawn & Engraved from the Highest Official Authorities. Geological Map of England & Wales. Arranged by permission from an Improved Index Map by R.I. Murchison Esqr. F.R.S. Resid[en]t of Geological S[ocie]ty.
- Author: DOBBS & Co
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Published by Dobbs & Co., 134 Fleet St. & 13 Soho Sqre. Sold also by D. Bogue Fleet St. and All Print and Mapsellers
- Publication date: 1843
- Physical description: Embossed geological map, fine original hand-colour, table of geological strata upper left, table of English counties upper right, dissected and mounted on card and linen, varnished, some minor abrasions, Kensington and Camberwell library stamps to map, folding into original embossed red cloth covers, title in gilt to upper cover, spine spilt.
- Dimensions: 545 by 450mm (21.5 by 17.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1883
The map’s geological information is based upon Roderick Impey Murchison’s map of the 1843. However, the present maps innovation is in representing elevation above sea level with the use of embossing. In order to ascertain the approximate heights above sea level, a “Vertical Scale” key, has been added below the list of English and Welsh counties. The key depicts cross sections of mountain ranges from under 700 feet to between 2800–3500 feet above sea level.
The map is cited in the, LR 8 Geological Societies Archives 84 — Secretaries’ Letterbooks, No.22: “Dobbs & Co 1843 June 20 London, present relievo map.“
Dobbs & Co was founded by H Dobbs in 1803 and had, by the middle of the nineteenth century, become one of the leading manufacturers of embossed, ornamental and illustrated cards, writing paper envelopes and valentines. Later the company became known as Dobbs, Bailey and Co. and Dobbs, Kidd and Co.
We are only able to trace one institutional example of the map, that in the British Library.
- BL Cartographic Items Maps R.M.87.