Rare eighteenth century plan of Eton

By PINE, John after COLLIER, William, 1742 
£10,000
£6,000

A Plan of the Town and Castle of Windsor and Little-Park, Town and College of Eton. To the most Noble Charles, Duke of Marlborough, Knight of the most Noble Order of the Garter, &c. &c. &c. This Plan of the Town and Castle of Windsor and Little-Park, Town and College of Eton Is most humbly Inscrib’d, by Hi Graces Dutiful Obedient Humb.le Serv.t W. Collier.

British Isles English Counties
  • Author: PINE, John after COLLIER, William
  • Publication place: Eton
  • Publisher: Publish’d according to Act of Parliament by W. Collier at Eton 1742, by whom Lands are Survey’d and Maps drawn of the same in ye. best and cheapest manner. Sold by J. Pine Engraver in Old Bond Street & T. Bakewell Printseller in Fleet Street
  • Publication date: 1742.
  • Physical description: Etching with engraving.
  • Dimensions: 500 by 590mm. (19.75 by 23.25 inches).
  • Inventory reference: 12286

Notes

The first state of a rare and charming map of Windsor showing Eton College. Although neglected by the early Hanoverian monarchs, Windsor Castle had become a popular tourist attraction by the early 1740s, thanks both to the castle’s collection of curiosities and the care taken of Windsor Great Park by the Duke of Cumberland. There is an inset at the upper left corner showing the east prospect of the castle, before George III began a programme of renovation when he took the throne. The inset at the upper right shows the garden designed by Henry Wise during the reign of Anne, the last Stuart monarch. A note on the map itself explains that the design was never executed, but plans have been made to do so. The key to the right shows the principal architectural features of the school and the castle.

The engraver, John Pine (1690–1756) was an important figure in eighteenth century British art. He was a friend and collaborator of Willam Hogarth; he engraved John Rocque’s monumental map of London; and, with Hogarth and George Virtue, he managed to secure early legislation for artists’ copyrights. The map is dedicated to Charles Spencer, 3rd Duke of Marlborough; the cartouche is decorated with his arms. Marlborough was educated at Eton, and had recently distinguished himself in the War of the Austrian Succession.

There are five institutional copies held in Eton College Library, the British Library, Princeton University Library, Museo Naval de Madrid, and in the Royal Collection.