Rare chart of the Mediterranean
By OLIVIER, F[rançois], 1746
Nouvelle Carte de la Mer Mediterranee Juscques au Cap S. Vincent et Cap Cantin.
- Author: OLIVIER, F[rançois]
- Publication place: Toulon
- Publication date: 1746.
- Physical description: Engraved chart on two sheets, a few marks, backed on japan paper with some minor loss to old folds.
- Dimensions: 580 by 810mm. (22.75 by 32 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1303
Little is know of François Olivier (fl.1746–1782), however, he must have been a fine seaman as he present chart gives him the title of Vice-Admiral of the Toulon region (“Vice-Amiral au Departement de Toulon”). By the middle of the eighteenth century Toulon had become one of France’s most important naval bases, from where she opperated her large Mediterranean fleet.
Rare. We are only able to trace three institutional examples: in the British Library; The National Maritme Museum; and the Bibliotheque Nationale de France.
- Zacharakis 2481
- Zacharakis, C. (1982). A Catalogue of printed maps of Greece 1477–1800. Nicosia: AG Leventis Foundation.