Rare chart of Guernsey, Sark and Herm
By DOBREE, Nicholas, 1823
A New Chart of the Island of Guernsey…
- Author: DOBREE, Nicholas
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: London, Robert Laurie and James Whittle, [but Richard Holmes Laurie
- Publication date: c1823].
- Physical description: Double-page engraved chart, with contemporary hand-colour in full.
- Dimensions: 505 by 705mm. (20 by 27.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17501
This scarce chart of Guernsey, Sark and Herm, was printed from a new plate, copied from Dobree’s original of 1746. The title cartouche contains a small vignette prospect of Castle Cornet.
Nicolas Dobree (1678 – 1751)
On the island of Guernsey, there is a memorial to the Dobree family, including this eulogy “To the Memory of Monsieur Nicolas Dobrée Who filled with great Objects of Religion and sincere Piety, was a good Husband, a good Father, a good Master, faithful & generous Friends. This zealous Citizen gave his care to the safety of Navigation, to the Perfection of the Port, and to the Erection & Establishment of the Hospital of this City, of which he was until his death the main support. Abundant in Charity & contributing with all his power to the happiness of his Fatherland, he looked at Heaven as the one to which he should aspire; by adjoining, with a humble confidence of the Divine goodness a happy Imortality He died on the 18th of November 1751 Aged 73 Years”.