Rare broadside map of Aberdeen and the environs
By PATERSON, G & W, 1746
A Survey of Old and New Aberdeen with ye adjacent Country between ye Rivers Dee and Don Inscribed to ye Rt. Honourable D. Forbes Esqr. Ld. President of ye Sessions in Scotland By G. & W. Paterson
- Author: PATERSON, G & W
- Publication place: [London]
- Publisher: Sold by J. Millan, Bookseller next Scotland Yard, Whitehall
- Publication date: 1746.
- Physical description: Broadsheet engraved map, inset map of Scotland, and the environs of Montrose.
- Inventory reference: 1638
The present plan has numerous annotations pertaining to the local geology, hydrography and farming conditions, including where best to grow pot-herbs and fish for salmon. Other areas of interest depicted include: Gallows Hill’s gibbet, which remained until 1776; Silverton Hospital, which was established by wealthy merchant Robert Gordon in 1732 and later became the college bearing his name; and Fut Dee Port (now Futtie Port), which marked the boundary between the burgh of Aberdeen and the fishing community of Fittie, and was demolished in the late 18th century.
Price 1s 6d Plain 2s Coloured. Navy & Army Establishment 13s.; Matthews & Leftocks Tracts 9s 6d.; Plans Sea Fights 10s 6d.; Kanes Campaigns & Discipline, Cuts 6s.; J. Jones’s Designs 10s 6d; Gothic Architecture 15s.