Rare birds-eye plan of the Siege of Montauban
By R., D., 1621
Plan de la Ville & Siege de Montauban
- Author: R., D.
- Publication place: Paris
- Publisher: Nicolas de Mathoniere
- Publication date: 1621.
- Physical description: Engraved map with letterpress text pasted below.
- Dimensions: 380 by 485mm. (15 by 19 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11363
Nicholas Mathoniere (1573–1640), a Parisian printer and publisher, produced this plan as a news-sheet description of the siege, with figures of the attackers firing on the town from their siege-works. The mapmaker, R.D., is otherwise unidentified. The text appears to describe the early phase of the siege — the last dates mentioned are in August — while the plan itself depicts an assault on the city commanded by the Duc de Mayenne.
- Worldcat returns only a single example, in the Bibliotheque nationale de France (which actually has two)
- COPAC records an example in the BL.