Plan of Tokyo from a later edition of the Abbé Prévost’s travel book
By BELLIN, Jacques Nicolas, and Abbé Antoine François de PRÉVOST, 1752
Plan de Jedo
- Author: BELLIN, Jacques Nicolas, and Abbé Antoine François de PRÉVOST
- Publication place: [Paris
- Publisher: Chez Didot
- Publication date: 1752].
- Physical description: Engraved plan with original hand colour.
- Dimensions: 288 by 341mm. (11.25 by 13.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15837
Prévost’s work was an expansion of Thomas Astley’s ‘Voyages and Travels’ compiled by Astley from sources including John Atkins, Theodor de Bry and Jean-Baptiste Lavat. The first seven volumes of Astley’s work were translated into French by the Abbé Antoine François Prévost (1697–1763). As well as translating Astley’s work, Prévost added a general history of discoveries and colonisation to his own lifetime, as well as an overview of the historical sources he used.