Plan of the French Siege of Freiburg in 1744 during the War of Austrian Succession
Carte Particuliere dea Environs de Brisack et de Fribourg avec la Circonvalation et Attaque de Fribourg et ses Forts.
- Publication date: 1744
- Physical description: Manuscript plan with fine original hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen, title and key to left margin.
- Dimensions: 1300 by 690mm. (51.25 by 27.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2729
In the autumn of 1744, as allies of Frederick the Great of Prussia, the French took Freiburg. Louis XV himself observed how the siege of the city was progressing from the vantage point of the Lorettoberg (Loretto Hill) and was almost hit by a stray cannonball fired by the forces defending the city. One year later Freiburg was returned to the Habsburgs, in the Treaty of Dresden.
The plan, which extends as far as Brisack in the east, gives a detailed overview of the position of the French besieging army. A key to the right of the plan lists the composition of the French forces; with hussards (green and yellow); cavalry (blue); dragoons (red); and infantry (yellow).
Scale: (approx.) 4cm to 1km.
Charles Louis d’Albert de Luynes (1717–1771) was a French nobleman and member of the House of Albert. He was the fifth Duke of Luynes as well as Duke of Chevreuse.
He took part in the war in 1733 in the War of the Polish Succession. He also took part in campaigns in 1735 and 1745, the latter in the War of the Austrian Succession, and was injured in combat at Sahay at the head of the Dragoons. He participated in the attack of Prague in 1742, and also assisted in various sieges and battles of the era.
In 1754, he was created a Colonel General of the Dragoons. From 1757 to 1771, he was the Gouverneur de Paris (Military governor of Paris), an ancient and prestigious rank representing the king in the capital. He also was created a Knight of the Order of the Holy Spirit at Versailles on 2 February 1759.
He died in Paris in his Hôtel. He was buried at the Chapelle de Saint Jean l’Évangeliste at the Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris.