Plan of the Battle of Dettingen

1743 

Plan a Veue Seulement de la Marche du 27. Juin 1743 et de la Bataille du meime jour sous Dethingen.

Europe Germany
  • Publication date: 1743.
  • Physical description: Manuscript plan with fine original hand colour, dissected and mounted on linen, key to plan to right margin.
  • Inventory reference: 2714

Notes

Plan of the Battle of Dettingen.

The Battle of Dettingen took place on 27 Jun 1743 at Dettingen on the River, during the War of the Austrian Succession. The British forces, in alliance with those of Hannover and Hesse, defeated a French army under the duc de Noailles. It was the last time that a British monarch (in this case George II) personally led his troops into battle.

The battle straddled the river about 18 miles east of Frankfurt, with guns on the Hessian bank but most of the combat on the flat Bavarian bank. The village of Dettingen is today the town of Karlstein am Main, in the extreme northwest of the large state of Bavaria, fully 200 miles from the capital, Munich.

An extensive key to the right hand margin gives information upon the composition of each army, and the field of battle. 

Provenance

From the Library of the Dukes of Luynes.

Charles Louis d’Albert de Luynes (1717–1771) was a French nobleman and member of the House of Albert. He was the fifth Duke of Luynes as well as Duke of Chevreuse.

He took part in the war in 1733 in the War of the Polish Succession. He also took part in campaigns in 1735 and 1745, the latter in the War of the Austrian Succession, and was injured in combat at Sahay at the head of the Dragoons. He participated in the attack of Prague in 1742, and also assisted in various sieges and battles of the era.

In 1754, he was created a Colonel General of the Dragoons. From 1757 to 1771, he was the Gouverneur de Paris (Military governor of Paris), an ancient and prestigious rank representing the king in the capital. He also was created a Knight of the Order of the Holy Spirit at Versailles on 2 February 1759.

He died in Paris in his Hôtel. He was buried at the Chapelle de Saint Jean l’Évangeliste at the Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris.