Plan of the Battle of Dentingen
Plan du Combat de Dettengen donne par l’Armee de France, Contrre celle des Alliez le 27 Juin 1743.
- Publication date: 1743
- Physical description: Manuscript plan with original hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen, two over-slips containing the position of the French and British armies.
- Dimensions: 220 by 340mm. (8.75 by 13.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2764
The Battle of Dettingen (German: Schlacht bei Dettingen) took place on 27 June[Note 2] 1743 at Dettingen on the River Main, Germany, during the War of the Austrian Succession. The British forces, in alliance with those of Hannover and Hesse, defeated a French army under the duc de Noailles. It was the last time that a British monarch (in this case George II) personally led his troops into battle.
The battle straddled the river about 18 miles east of Frankfurt, with guns on the Hessian bank but most of the combat on the flat Bavarian bank. The village of Dettingen is today the town of Karlstein am Main, in the extreme northwest of the large state of Bavaria, fully 200 miles from the capital, Munich.
Scale: (approx.) 3.5cm to 1km.
Charles Louis d’Albert de Luynes (1717–1771) was a French nobleman and member of the House of Albert. He was the fifth Duke of Luynes as well as Duke of Chevreuse.
He took part in the war in 1733 in the War of the Polish Succession. He also took part in campaigns in 1735 and 1745, the latter in the War of the Austrian Succession, and was injured in combat at Sahay at the head of the Dragoons. He participated in the attack of Prague in 1742, and also assisted in various sieges and battles of the era.
In 1754, he was created a Colonel General of the Dragoons. From 1757 to 1771, he was the Gouverneur de Paris (Military governor of Paris), an ancient and prestigious rank representing the king in the capital. He also was created a Knight of the Order of the Holy Spirit at Versailles on 2 February 1759.
He died in Paris in his Hôtel. He was buried at the Chapelle de Saint Jean l’Évangeliste at the Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris.