Plan of the Austrian and French armies near Heilbronn in 1693

1693 

Carte Particuliere de l’armee de l’Empereur dans les lignes D’Hailbron a l’aproche de l’armée de Mgr. le Dauphin en 1693.

Europe Germany
  • Publication date: 1693
  • Physical description: Manuscript plan with original hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen, key to plan lower right, inset plan of Heilbron upper right.
  • Dimensions: 200 by 385mm. (7.75 by 15.25 inches).
  • Inventory reference: 2738

Notes

Plan of the Austrian and French armies near Heilbronn in 1693, during the Nine Years War. A key below the title contains information on the composition of the French and Austrian Armies. The town was occupied by the French in 1688, and although the occupation only lasted seven months it was not until 1693 that the French were persuaded to leave the surronding countryside, when a large defensive army had been put into the field and fortifications erected. 

Provenance

From the Library of the Dukes of Luynes.

Charles Louis d’Albert de Luynes (1717–1771) was a French nobleman and member of the House of Albert. He was the fifth Duke of Luynes as well as Duke of Chevreuse.

He took part in the war in 1733 in the War of the Polish Succession. He also took part in campaigns in 1735 and 1745, the latter in the War of the Austrian Succession, and was injured in combat at Sahay at the head of the Dragoons. He participated in the attack of Prague in 1742, and also assisted in various sieges and battles of the era.

In 1754, he was created a Colonel General of the Dragoons. From 1757 to 1771, he was the Gouverneur de Paris (Military governor of Paris), an ancient and prestigious rank representing the king in the capital. He also was created a Knight of the Order of the Holy Spirit at Versailles on 2 February 1759.

He died in Paris in his Hôtel. He was buried at the Chapelle de Saint Jean l’Évangeliste at the Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris.