Plan of Kyoto
By DHEULLAND, Guillaume after Jacques Nicolas BELLIN; Abbé Antoine François de PRÉVOST, 1752
Plan de la Ville de Meaco
- Author: DHEULLAND, Guillaume after Jacques Nicolas BELLIN; Abbé Antoine François de PRÉVOST
- Publication place: [Paris
- Publisher: Chez Didot
- Publication date: 1752].
- Physical description: Engraved plan.
- Dimensions: 252 by 343mm. (10 by 13.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15898
Prévost’s work was an expansion of Thomas Astley’s ‘Voyages and Travels’ compiled by Astley from sources including John Atkins, Theodor de Bry and Jean-Baptiste Lavat. The first seven volumes of Astley’s work were translated into French by the Abbé Antoine François Prévost (1697–1763). As well as translating Astley’s work, Prévost added a general history of discoveries and colonisation to his own lifetime, as well as an overview of the historical sources he used.
The maps and plans in Prévost’s work were drawn by Jacques Nicolas Bellin, and engraved by Guillaume Dheulland.