Ortelius’s rare map of the Pacific, Asia, and America
By ORTELIUS, Abraham, 1595
Maris Pacifici (quod vulgo Mar del Zur)
- Author: ORTELIUS, Abraham
- Publication place: [Antwerp
- Publication date: 1595].
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map.
- Dimensions: 345 by 495mm. (13.5 by 19.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12905
Ortelius’ ‘Theatrum Orbis Terrarum’ is widely regarded as the first modern atlas. At the time of its publication, it was the most expensive book ever produced. Between 1570 and 1612, it was issued in 31 editions and seven languages. The present example is the first state of the map, appearing in the 1595 Latin edition.
- Van den Broecke 12.1
- van den Broecke, Marcel. (2011). Ortelius Atlas Maps. Second revised edition. Houten: HES & de Graaf.
- Burden 74: van der Krogt [0600:31], from van der Krogt 31:051.
- Burden, Philip. (2007). The mapping of North America. Rickmansworth: Raleigh Publications.