Map of the Island of Grenada Divided into Parishes and including a Plan of The Harbour of St. George. Taken from an actual Survey made by Gavin Smith in the Year 1801 under the Authority of the Legislature of the Island.
- Author: SMITH, Gavin
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Edward Stanford
- Publication date: 1806 [but 1899].
- Physical description: Lithograph map, dissected and mounted on linen, marbled endpaper, Stanford publisher’s label pasted to lower margin, brown cloth slipcase with E. Stanford’s label pasted on.
- Dimensions: 1010 by 700mm. (39.75 by 27.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12871
The map was originally compiled by Gavin Smith in 1801, published in 1806, and updated in 1824, to show the increased partitioning of the island during early British rule, with many new estates being sold in the interior of the island. The map’s importance to the island’s administration is demonstrated, when it was reissued in 1899 (the present work) by the Intellegence Department of the War Office, and signed off by the then Superintendent of Public Works, W.J. Lawrence. Lawrence has augmented Smith original map to include, main roads, first and second class byways, public buildings, water works, reservoirs, water mains, and burial grounds.
Rare OCLC records three institutional examples: The British Library; The National Library of Scotland; the University of Illinois.
Scale: 2 inches to one statute mile.