“nearly as big as Paris”
By FER, Nicolas de, 1700
Plan des villes de londres et de westminster et de leurs faubourgs avec le bourg de southwark. avec Priv. du Roy 1700.
- Author: FER, Nicolas de
- Publication place: [Paris
- Publication date: 1700].
- Physical description: Hand-coloured engraved plan.
- Dimensions: 290 by 330mm (11.5 by 13 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1515
“At the opening of the eighteenth century … French maps of London were for the most part small and unimportant, being derived from native originals, but it is interesting to find a London map of 1700 published by a Parisian, Nicolas de Fer, being used as a means of showing his pride in his native city. London he says, is “nearly as big as Paris”. (Howgego, p. 19)
Scale: approx. 3 inches to 1 statute mile.
- Howgego 44 (1).
- Howgego, J. (1978). Printed maps of London, circa 1553–1850. Folkestone: Dawson.