Napoleon in Exile
By [OUR HALF SHARE] READ, R. P., 1815
This Geographical Plan of The Island & Forts of Saint Helena is Dedicated by Permission to Field Marshal His R[oya]l Highness The Duke of Kent and Strathearn By Lieut. R.P. Read.
- Author: [OUR HALF SHARE] READ, R. P.
- Publication place: [London
- Publisher: Burgis & Barefoot
- Publication date: October 1815].
- Physical description: Engraved map, fine original full wash hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen, descriptive text to verso, folding into original blue paper slipcase with vignette of Napoleon in exile on the verso.
- Dimensions: 457 by 592mm (18 by 23.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2535
- This is the second or third of four states: the residence of Napoleon has been changed from “Plantation House” in the first state, to two new locations
- first at “The Briars Mr Balcombe”
- the second at “Long Wood”
- “Plantation House”, has been renamed “Plantation House. The Residence of the Governor”
- the hatchuring around the coast has been erased. The second and third states differ only in the publisher’s imprint, however our example lacks the imprint.