Mining for Coal in West Virginia
By ANONYMOUS, 1863
A Small Archive of Manuscript Maps of West Virginia.
- Author: ANONYMOUS
- Publication date: c1863.
- Physical description: 3 manuscript maps, pen and black, red and blue ink, on waxed muslin, various sizes, some separations at folds.
- Inventory reference: 14306
Showing the area bounded by Tripletts Fork in the northeast, Boggs Run to the east, O’Brien’s Fork to the west, and Tague’s Fork to the Northwest.
“Oil Tract in Gilmer County, W.Va. Scale, 40 poles = 1 inch. Area, 102 acres”, 180 x 250 mm to the neatline, full margins
Showing the area surrounding the tributary ‘Mikes Run’ of the ‘Steers Creek’, which is southwest of Glenville.
“Oil Tract in Ritchie County, W.Va. Area, 121 Acres. Scale of 30 poles to the in.”, 200 x 290 mm to the neatline
Showing the area surrounding the tributaries to the southeast of Lynn Camp Run,
West Virginia has been a prolific supplier of oil, but particularly of bituminous coal since before it entered the Union in 1863. In the 1850s geologists surveyed potential coal fields, investing in land and early mining projects, which boomed in the years following the Civil War, with the advent of railroads.