Isles de la sonde
- Author: LE ROUGE, George Louis
- Publication place: A Paris
- Publisher: chez le Rouge
- Publication date: 1756.
- Physical description: Engraved map with hand colour.
- Dimensions: 238 by 332mm. (9.25 by 13 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15874
Le Rouge (c1707-1793/94) was probably the son of French architect Louis Remy de La Fosse, who supervised his education and raised him to be an engineer and architect. He began his cartographical career in the 1730s, becoming ‘ingenieur geographe du Roi’ and settling in Paris in 1736. In spite of publishing a number of important maps, mostly after the original work of others, and paid for by wealthy patrons, or public funds. Le Rouge barely maintained himself, and supplemented his income by working as a military engineer and landscape designer.