Map of Mahon and Fort St Philip
By BEAURAIN, [Jean de], 1756
Plan de la Ville et du Port Mahon et du Fort St. Philippe Tel qu’il étoit fortifié en 1706 par les Espagnols.
- Author: BEAURAIN, [Jean de]
- Publication place: Paris
- Publisher: Le Chevalier de Beaurain Géographe Ordinaire
- Publication date: c1756
- Physical description: Engraved map, dissected and laid on linen.
- Dimensions: 475 by 945mm. (18.75 by 37.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 14981
The map encompasses the surrounding rural regions to the North, and the detailed coastline around the port. The plans of the fortress and city suggest that this map would have been put to use as a military tool; made by the royal geographer of France, it is possible that the Louis XV commission the map in the immediate aftermath of his victory. In the upper left corner, a key identifies the various buildings, roads and islands featured on the image. The key is written in both French and Spanish, yet further evidence of how the island was constantly changing hands throughout the eighteenth century.