Map of Japan and Korea by Le Rouge
By LE ROUGE, George Louis, 1748
Carte du Japon et de la Coree. A Paris Par le S.r le Rouge
- Author: LE ROUGE, George Louis
- Publication place: A Paris
- Publisher: Par le Sr. le Rouge
- Publication date: 1748
- Physical description: Engraved map with original outline hand colour.
- Dimensions: 244 by 339mm. (9.5 by 13.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15869
Le Rouge (c1707-1793/94) was probably the son of French architect Louis Remy de La Fosse, who supervised his education and raised him to be an engineer and architect. He began his cartographical career in the 1730s, becoming ‘ingenieur geographe du Roi’ and settling in Paris in 1736. In spite of publishing a number of important maps, mostly after the original work of others, and paid for by wealthy patrons, or public funds. Le Rouge barely maintained himself, and supplemented his income by working as a military engineer and landscape designer.
- Hubbard 97.1.
- Hubbard, J. and Mihama, Y. (2012). Japoniæ insulæ. Houten: HES & De Graaf Publishers BV.