Map of Afghanistan during the Second Anglo-Afghan War
By STANFORD, Edward, 1880
Stanford’s Large Scale Map of Afghanistan Showing the present British Frontier.
- Author: STANFORD, Edward
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Published by Edward Stanford 55 Charing Cross
- Publication date: October 1, 1879, Additions to, July 31 1880.
- Physical description: Lithograph map, with original hand-colour in outline, dissected and mounted on linen, folding into original red cloth covers with publisher’s label, rubbed.
- Dimensions: 830 by 960mm (32.75 by 37.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 14528
The Treaty of Gandamak officially ended the first phase of the Second Anglo-Afghan War. Mohammad Yaqub Khan ceded various frontier areas to Britain while retaining full sovereignty over Afghanistan. It was signed on 26 May 1879 by King Mohammad Yaqub Khan of Afghanistan and Sir Louis Cavagnari of British’s Government of India at a British army camp near the village of Gandamak, about 70 miles east of Kabul. The treaty was ratified by Lord Edward Robert Bulwer Lytton, Viceroy of India, on 30 May 1879.
The map also marks the routes of the British forces led by General Roberts, who in July 1880, led a column of British and India troops to relieve the British forces besieged in Kandahar; and also that of Ayub Khan, from Kabul to Kandahar, who had previously defeated the British at the battle of Maiwand.