Magnificent complete set of six hand-coloured etched plans of the principal naval dockyards
By MILTON, Thomas, 1753
Complete series of Thomas Milton’s Royal Dockyards A Geometrical Plan and North Elevation of H.M. Dock Yard at Woolwich, with part of the Town… [&] A Geometrical Plan and West Elevation of H.M. Dock Yard and Garrison at Sheerness, with the Ordnance Wharfe… [&] A Geometrical Plan and West Elevation of His Majesty’s Dock Yard near Plymouth, with the Ordnance Wharfe… [&] A Geometrical Plan and West Elevation of His Majesty’s Dock Yard near Portsmouth, with part of the Common… [&] A Geometrical Plan, & North East Elevation Of His Majesty’s Dock-Yard at Deptford, with Part of the Town… [&] A Geometrical Plan & North West Elevation of his Majesty’s Dock-Yard at Chatham, with ye village of Brompton adjacent.
- Author: MILTON, Thomas
- Publication place: [London
- Publisher: T. Milton
- Publication date: 1753–1756].
- Physical description: Six etched plans with views, engraved titles, key, coat of arms and dedication to cartouches within elaborate borders, conch shells suggested at corners, includes maritime vignettes of ships and ship building, also floral motifs, watermarked laid paper, ‘Woolwich’ with sheet trimmed, lacking lower margin, the others with wide margins, generally a little grubby and stained, with small closed tears, occasionally into plate.
- Dimensions: 675 by 490mm (26.5 by 19.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1588