Ligorio’s rare map of Flanders
By LIGORIO, Pirro, 1558
Descriptio Totius Galliae Belgicae.
- Author: LIGORIO, Pirro
- Publication place: Rome and Venice
- Publisher: Michele Tramezzino
- Publication date: 1558.
- Physical description: Engraved map with original hand colour.
- Dimensions: 378 by 489mm. (15 by 19.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12299
“The geography of the map comes directly from Boileau, who had published a map of Belgium in Antwerp the previous year. Tramezini had close business connections with Holland, and might easily have obtained a copy; but as Tooley points out, the Ligorio map corresponds most closely with an anonymous Italian copy of Boileau’s map. This copy, like Boileau’s original, is oriented with south at the top” (Karrow).
Rare we are unable to trace an original coloured example of the map appearing on the market in the last 40 years.
- Karrow 51/7
- Karrow, R. (1993). Mapmakers of the sixteenth century and their maps. Chicago: Speculum Orbis Press.
- Tooley 1939, no. 132.