Lesser Antilles — Sombrero Island
By HAYES, Captain John, 1815
The Island of Sombrero Surveyed by Capt John Haynes RN 1810.
- Author: HAYES, Captain John
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Capt Hurd R.N. Hydrographer to the Admiralty
- Publication date: 7th Oct 1815.
- Physical description: Engraved chart.
- Dimensions: 215 by 290mm. (8.5 by 11.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11617
Captain John Hayes (1775–1838), saw extensive service in the Napoleonic Wars. In 1810 he was in command of HMS Freija in the West Indies and saw action in the Invasion of Guadeloupe.
John Walker, founding members of the Royal Geographic Society, was a leading mapmaker and engraver working in London in the first half of the nineteenth century. He is known to have produced numerous charts for James Horsburgh and the Admiralty.