A Map of the Shire of Lanark Taken from an Actual Survey and laid down from a Scale of an Inch to a Mile by Charles Ross of Greenlaw & Engraved by Geo. Cameron.
- Author: ROSS, Charles
- Publication date: 1773.
- Physical description: Engraved map on four sheets (each 613 by 490mm), original outline hand-colouring.
- Dimensions: 1226 by 980mm. (48.25 by 38.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11855
Charles Ross (1722–1806) was originally a factor on the Hawkehead estate, but worked as an architect, designed a building on the Ardoch estate, and as a surveyor and mapmaker, probably self taught. He nevertheless built up a solid client base, drawing estate plans for several of the local noblemen and gentry, including Sir James Colquhoun of Luss.
Land surveyors played an important part in changes to the agricultural landscape, including the move from infield-outfield systems to a more geometrical field pattern (Adams). After the Anglo-Scottish Union in 1707, Scottish estates increasingly adopted English agricultural practices. Instead of irregularly dividing the land between grazing grounds and crop land, estates were divided into regular fields with well-defined boundaries, making the land both easier to work and more productive. This redefinition of property boundaries required the skills of a surveyor, who could show both the structure of the landscape and any relevant details which might affect the productivity or use of the land.
There are copies held in the University of Glasgow, National Library of Scotland, and the British Library.