Large plan of the position of the French and Allied armies during the build up to the Siege of Namur of 1747
By GAYET, 1746
Plan qui represente les Environs et la Circonvallation de Namur du 4. Septembre au 6. Octobre. Avec les differentes positions de l’Armée du Roy et de celle des Alliés depius le 30. Juillet jusqu’au 19. Auost 1746. Levé Geometriquemnet.
- Author: GAYET
- Publication date: 1746
- Physical description: Manuscript plan with fine original hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen, key to plan below title.
- Dimensions: 1200 by 1060mm. (47.25 by 41.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2701
The plan stretches from Corbais in the north to Chatelet and west to east from Chatelet to Namur. The plan shows the gradual retreat of the Allied Army to the line of the River Meuse, during the summer of 1746; with their crushing victory at the Battle of Fontenoy in the previous year, and the withdrawal of the British to see off the Jacobite Rebellion, the French swept all before them.
It contains a great amount of detail including hamlets , towns, cities, rivers, roads, forests, and fields. Each regiment is numbered and named in a key to the upper left. The key lists infantry, cavalry, the Hussards, the Dragoons, and the King’s Household Cavalry.
Scale (approx.): 3.5cm to 1km.
Charles Louis d’Albert de Luynes (1717–1771) was a French nobleman and member of the House of Albert. He was the fifth Duke of Luynes as well as Duke of Chevreuse.
He took part in the war in 1733 in the War of the Polish Succession. He also took part in campaigns in 1735 and 1745, the latter in the War of the Austrian Succession, and was injured in combat at Sahay at the head of the Dragoons. He participated in the attack of Prague in 1742, and also assisted in various sieges and battles of the era.
In 1754, he was created a Colonel General of the Dragoons. From 1757 to 1771, he was the Gouverneur de Paris (Military governor of Paris), an ancient and prestigious rank representing the king in the capital. He also was created a Knight of the Order of the Holy Spirit at Versailles on 2 February 1759.
He died in Paris in his Hôtel. He was buried at the Chapelle de Saint Jean l’Évangeliste at the Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris.