Plan qui represente les differentes positions de l’Armée du Roy et de celle des Ennemis depius le 19. Auost jusqu’au 6 Septembre 1746.
- Author: GAYET
- Publication date: 1746.
- Physical description: Manuscript plan with original colour, dissected and mounted on linen, key to upper right below title.
- Dimensions: 910 by 630mm. (35.75 by 24.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2706
The plan extends from north to south from Hannut to Huy, and east to west from Wansin to Huy, and depicts rivers, forests, villages, towns, churches, and roads; elevation is shown by shading. To the right of the plan is a key to the French army listing, infantry, cavalry, dragoons, hussards, and the King’s Household cavalry. To
the upper left is a key to the French and Allied armies: French infantry marked white and red, cavalry blue, hussards blue and red, and dragoons red; Allied troops, infantry yellow and cavalry blue.
The plan shows the gradual retreat of the Allied Army to the line of the River Meuse, during the summer of 1746; with their crushing victory at the Battle of Fontenoy in the previous year, and the withdrawal of the British to see off the Jacobite Rebellion, the French swept all before them.
Scale; (approx.) 3.5cm by 1km.
Charles Louis d’Albert de Luynes (1717–1771) was a French nobleman and member of the House of Albert. He was the fifth Duke of Luynes as well as Duke of Chevreuse.
He took part in the war in 1733 in the War of the Polish Succession. He also took part in campaigns in 1735 and 1745, the latter in the War of the Austrian Succession, and was injured in combat at Sahay at the head of the Dragoons. He participated in the attack of Prague in 1742, and also assisted in various sieges and battles of the era.
In 1754, he was created a Colonel General of the Dragoons. From 1757 to 1771, he was the Gouverneur de Paris (Military governor of Paris), an ancient and prestigious rank representing the king in the capital. He also was created a Knight of the Order of the Holy Spirit at Versailles on 2 February 1759.
He died in Paris in his Hôtel. He was buried at the Chapelle de Saint Jean l’Évangeliste at the Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris.