Plan de Maestricht et du Fort St. Pierre.
- Author: GAYET
- Publication date: 1747
- Physical description: Manuscript plan with fine original hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen, title in pencil to lower margin.
- Dimensions: 670 by 940mm. (26.5 by 37 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2698
The fortifications around Maastricht are shaped as an irregular semicircle, the straightest part of which is sided by the river Meuse. There are six gates controlling the main paths leading to the city, and one bridge linking Maastricht to the suburb of Wick across the Meuse. On the left of Maastricht is the mountain of St Pierre with the homonymous fort, which is directly connected to Maastricht via a walled passageway.
The city of Maastricht honourably resisted the French invasion and only surrendered after the battle of Lauffeldt in 1747. Following the siege, the United Provinces agreed on devoting more attention to the strategic outpost that was Maastricht, and strengthened its walled protection.
Scale: (approx) 19cm to 1km
Charles Louis d’Albert de Luynes (1717–1771) was a French nobleman and member of the House of Albert. He was the fifth Duke of Luynes as well as Duke of Chevreuse.
He took part in the war in 1733 in the War of the Polish Succession. He also took part in campaigns in 1735 and 1745, the latter in the War of the Austrian Succession, and was injured in combat at Sahay at the head of the Dragoons. He participated in the attack of Prague in 1742, and also assisted in various sieges and battles of the era.
In 1754, he was created a Colonel General of the Dragoons. From 1757 to 1771, he was the Gouverneur de Paris (Military governor of Paris), an ancient and prestigious rank representing the king in the capital. He also was created a Knight of the Order of the Holy Spirit at Versailles on 2 February 1759.
He died in Paris in his Hôtel. He was buried at the Chapelle de Saint Jean l’Évangeliste at the Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris.