Large and detailed plan of the position of the French and Allied armies at the beginning of the siege of Berg-op-Zoom, on 20th September 1747

By DE MARNE, 1747 

Plan des Environs de la Ville et des Forts de Berg-op-Zoom avec les Positions des Camps de l’Armee du Roy et de Celle des Allies Pendant le Siege de la Ville depuis le 11. Juillet, jusqu’au 20. Septembre 1747. Leve Geometriquement par le Sieur De Marne Ingenieur Geographe.

Europe Low Countries
  • Author: DE MARNE
  • Publication date: 1747.
  • Physical description: Manuscript plan with fine original hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen.
  • Inventory reference: 2767

Notes

Large and detailed plan of the position of the French and Allied armies at the beginning of the siege of Berg-op-Zoom, on 20th September 1747.

The French army can be seen to the east of the town, with each regiment named, and colour-coded: cavalry blue; infantry yellow; dragoons red. The Allied army has take up position to the north of the town behind the defensive works and forts of Moermont, Pinsen, and Rooweers.

Provenance

From the Library of the Dukes of Luynes.

Charles Louis d’Albert de Luynes (1717–1771) was a French nobleman and member of the House of Albert. He was the fifth Duke of Luynes as well as Duke of Chevreuse.

He took part in the war in 1733 in the War of the Polish Succession. He also took part in campaigns in 1735 and 1745, the latter in the War of the Austrian Succession, and was injured in combat at Sahay at the head of the Dragoons. He participated in the attack of Prague in 1742, and also assisted in various sieges and battles of the era.

In 1754, he was created a Colonel General of the Dragoons. From 1757 to 1771, he was the Gouverneur de Paris (Military governor of Paris), an ancient and prestigious rank representing the king in the capital. He also was created a Knight of the Order of the Holy Spirit at Versailles on 2 February 1759.

He died in Paris in his Hôtel. He was buried at the Chapelle de Saint Jean l’Évangeliste at the Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris.