Geological Map of the British Isles and Part of France. Rivers and Canals, Railways and Principal Roads, and Sites of the Minerals. Under the Patronage of Prince Albert, to whom This Map is by express Permission Humbly Dedicated.
- Author: KNIPE, J[ames] A[lexander]
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Published for the Proprietor by H. Baillière, 219 Regent St and Mess.rs Grant & Griffith St Pauls Churchyard (Late Harris)
- Publication date: 1845.
- Physical description: Engraved map, dissected and mounted on linen, fine original hand-colour, edged in green silk, folding into blue morocco slipcase, with Prince Albert’s coat-of-arms and title on the upper cover, gilt.
- Dimensions: 1575 by 1300mm. (62 by 51.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 13949
The map provides a wealth of geological information supplied by the extensive index and notes located at the bottom left-corner. Knipe has also included a number of cross-sections from various locations in France and the British Isles on the map: ‘Section from London to Essex’, ‘From Hindhead to Tucksbury Hill’, ‘From Roundhill near Bath to Charhill Hill near Calne’, ‘Bristol coalfield’, ‘From Brown Clee Hill to Caer Caradoc’, ‘From the BlackMountains to the River Towy’, ‘From Wellington Heath to Malvern Hills’, ‘Carboniferous Limestone series in North of Ireland’, ‘County of Donegal’, ‘Isle of Arran’, all of which are illustrated in vivid colour, showing the soil and rock strata. Next to these are two in depth examinations of the rock and soil layer beneath the cities of London and Paris.
In the bottom left-hand corner, there is a geological table, ‘with the Nomenclature of Systems and Formations in English, German and French’, and also a key of symbols and mineral signs.
The map was first published by Knipe in 1843 with 24 different issues between 1843 and 1880; with two editions: 1843–1851, and 1852–1880. The present map in an 1845 (3rd issue) of the first edition.