Jenichen’s map of Cyprus
By JENICHEN, Balthasar, 1571
- Author: JENICHEN, Balthasar
- Publication place: Nuremberg
- Publisher: Balthasar Jenichen
- Publication date: 1571
- Physical description: Engraved map.
- Dimensions: 155 by 205mm. (6 by 8 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12172
Very little is known about the publisher, Balthasar Jenichen (fl.1560–1577), apart from his prolific output: he and Mathias Zündt were the leading German publishers of broadsides and news maps at the time. Newssheets by Jenichen are rare in general because of their ephemeral nature, and this broadsheet in its first edition is particularly rare. Bibliographies tend to cite the second edition published slightly later, which is trimmed at all sides and lacks the main title. The present example also has the complete note in the lower right corner: other copies are often lacking the last line. We have traced three institutional copies: Augsburg, Stadts- und Stadtbibliothek; Munich, Bayerische Staatsbibliothek; Paris, Collection Rothschild. One other example of this map was sold by Kiefer Buch und Kunstauktionen, Pforzheim in 2008 for €54,280 (purchased by Daniel Crouch whilst at Bernard Shapero Rare Books and now in the Ioannou collection).
- Navari 22
- Navari, Leonora. (2003). Maps of Cyprus. Nicosia: Bank of Cyprus Cultural Foundation.
- Stylianou 62
- Stylianou, A. and Stylianou, J.A. (1980). The history of the cartography of Cyprus. Nicosia: Zavallis Press.
- Zacharakis 1158 (incorrect attr.).
- Zacharakis, C. (1982). A Catalogue of printed maps of Greece 1477–1800. Nicosia: AG Leventis Foundation.