Jaillot monumental wall map of the Holy Land
By [OUR SHARE] JAILLOT, [Alexis] H[ubert], 1697
Theatre de la Terre Saincte qui represente les lieux ou se sont faits les miracles combats et belles actions contenues au vieil et nouveau testament.
- Author: [OUR SHARE] JAILLOT, [Alexis] H[ubert]
- Publication place: Paris
- Publisher: Chez Hubert Jaillot
- Publication date: 1697 [text block dated 1723].
- Physical description: Engraved map on six sheets joined, letterpress explanatory text below, some minor loss to map, and letterpress text skilfully repaired in facsimile.
- Dimensions: 810 by 1440mm. (32 by 56.75 inches) (including text) 1030 by 1440mm (40.5 by 56.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2986
Above the map are 12 images showing the creation of the world, the creation of man, and his expulsion from Eden. Below the map is a large text block providing information upon the map. The text block is dated 1723, and was evidently added to the map by his son. The map itself bears similarities with Carel Allard’s map of the Holy Land “Nieuwe Caarte van’t Belvoode Land…”, published around 1700 in Amsterdam.
Alexis Hubert Jaillot (1632–1712) followed Nicholas Sanson (1600 — 1667) and his descendants in ushering in the great age of French Cartography in the late 17th and 18th century. The publishing center of the cartographic world gradually transitioned from Amsterdam to Paris following the disastrous inferno that destroyed the preeminent Blaeu firm in 1672. Hubert Jaillot was born in Franche-Comte and trained as a sculptor. When he married the daughter of the enlumineur de ala Reine, Nicholas Berey, he found himself positioned to inherit a lucrative map and print publishing firm. When Nicholas Sanson, the premier French cartographer of the day, died Jaillot negotiated with his heirs to republish much of Sanson’s work. Though not a cartographer himself, Jaillot’s access to the Sanson plates enabled him to publish numerous maps and atlases with only slight modifications and updates to the originals. As a sculptor and an artist, Jaillot’s maps were particularly admired for their elaborate and meaningful allegorical title cartouches and other decorative elements. Jaillot used his allegorical cartouche work to extol the virtues of the Sun King Louis IV, and his military and political triumphs. These earned him the patronage of the French crown who used his maps in the tutoring of the young Dauphin. In 1686 he was awarded the title of Geographe du Roi< and with it significant prestige and the coveted yearly stipend of 600 Livres. Jaillot was one of the last French map makers to acquire this title. Louis XV, after taking the throne, replaced the position with the more prestigious and singular title of Premier Geographe du Roi. Jaillot died in Paris in 1712. He was succeeded by his son Bernard Jean Hyacinthe Jaillot (1673–1739)
Rare OCLC records two institutional examples: in the National Library of Israel dated 1697; and the University Library at Dresden dated 1706; there is also an example in the Tresor de Liege.
- Laor Maps of the Holy Land 370 for National Library of Israel example
- Laor, E. and Klein, S. (1986). Maps of the Holy Land. New York: A.R. Liss.