By LOWE, Charles H., 1891
Map of the Parish of St. John, Hampstead.
- Author: LOWE, Charles H.
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Sprague & Co.
- Publication date: 1891.
- Physical description: Lithographed map with contemporary hand-colour in full, dissected and mounted on linen.
- Dimensions: 1055 by 1005mm (41.5 by 39.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11435
The population of Hampstead doubled in size between 1871 and 1891. The expansion of the London railways, especially the North London Line in 1860, made it more accessible from the City, attracting both residents and visitors. As a result of this migration, the area underwent substantial redevelopment. During the 1880s Fitzjohns Avenue was connected to Hampstead High Street, creating a new transport nexus; the slums in central Hampstead were cleared; and the area gained two important hospitals — the Mount Vernon TB and the Hampstead General. In 1889 Hampstead became part of Greater London. Charles H. Lowe was the Borough Surveyor for Hampstead.
Rare: No examples recorded by OCLC