By STARLING, Thomas, 1831
Plan of the Parish of St John at Hackney Divided by His Majesty’s Order in Council into the rectories of Hackney, West Hackney and South Hackney, with the respective boundaries of each and distinguishing the Ecclessiastical District assigned to the Chapel at Stamford Hall, from an Actual Survey
- Author: STARLING, Thomas
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Chas. Cliff
- Publication date: 1831.
- Physical description: Engraved map with contemporary hand-colour in full, dissected and mounted on linen, edged in blue silk, housed in red cloth slipcase.
- Dimensions: 845 by 965mm (33.25 by 38 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11447
The ornate title explains that the map is based on a survey done on the commission of the officers of the parish and the lord of the manor, William Tyssen. The title lord of the manor denoted the ownership of an estate with certain rights, often covering the same area as a parish. William had married into the Tyssen family and took the name after his father-in-law Captain Amherst died without a male heir. Tyssen and his wife inherited all three parts of the Hackney manor (Lords Hold, Kings Hold and Grumbolds) as her uncles died, and also owned three country estates. It is dedicated to Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington, who had served as Prime Minister from 1828 to 1830, and whose government had broken down just before this map was published after his support for Catholic Emancipation and rejection of the Reform Bill.
Rare: only two examples known, both at the BL.
- BL 4196.(4.), BL Crace Port. 19.43.(2.)