Greenwood’s rare large-scale map of the Scottish counties of Fife and Kinross
By GREENWOOD, Christopher; FOWLER, William; SHARP, Thomas, 1828
Map of the Counties of Fife and Kinross made on the basis of the Trigonometrical Survey of Scotland, Surveyed in the Years 1826 and 1827, And Published by the Proprietors. Thomas Sharp, C. Greenwood and Wm. Fowler. To the Nobility, Gentry, & Clergy of the Counties of Fife & Kinross This Map of the Counties Is most respectfully dedicated by the Proprietors.
- Author: GREENWOOD, Christopher; FOWLER, William; SHARP, Thomas
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Thomas Sharp, Christopher Greenwood, William Fowler
- Publication date: February, 1828.
- Physical description: Engraved large-scale map, fine original hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen, edged in blue silk, some silk edging lacking, some fraying at edges, folding into original calf pull-off slipcase lettered in gilt, rubbed.
- Dimensions: 925 by 1235mm. (36.5 by 48.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12801
The Greenwoods started in 1817 with Lancashire and Yorkshire and by 1831 they had covered 34 counties. Their maps were masterpieces of surveying and engraving techniques, and in view of the speed at which they were completed, their accuracy is remarkable. They mark the boundaries of the counties, hundreds and parishes, churches and chapels, castles and quarries, farmhouses and gentlemen’s seats, heaths and common land, woods, parliamentary representatives and distances between towns. The price of 3 guineas each compares with the first edition Ordnance Survey sheets of 7s 6d, though the latter did not relate to complete counties.
The present map is one of only four Scottish counties that Greenwood published. All four maps were published in conjunction with Thomas Sharp and William Fowler, and took as their base the Trigonometrical Survey of Scotland. The first surveys of Scottish lands began in 1809 until around 1822. The survey would later be continued and amended in 1834.
Scale: one inch to one statute mile.
- Roger 647.
- Rodger, E. (1972). The Large Scale County Maps of the British Isles 1596–1850: A Union List. Second edition. Oxford: Bodleian Library.
- NLS EMS.s.325