Map of the County of York Made on the Basis of Triangles in the County, determined by Lieu. Col. Wm. Mudge, Royal Arty. F.R.S. and Captn. Tho. Colby, Royal Engrs. in the Trigonometrical Survey of England, by Order of the Board of Ordnance, and Surveyed in the Years 1815, 1816, & 1817, By C. Greenwood, Wakefield.
- Author: GREENWOOD, Christopher
- Publisher: Published by the Proprietors, Robson, Son & Holdsworth Leeds, John Hurst & C. Greenwood, Wakefield
- Publication date: June 4th, 1817.
- Physical description: Large engraved map on eight sheets, dissected and mounted on linen, in four sections, housed within two calf pull-off slipcases, richly gilt.
- Dimensions: 1830 by 2170mm. (72 by 85.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 10860
The Greenwoods started in 1817 with Lancashire and Yorkshire and by 1831 they had covered 34 counties. Their maps were masterpieces of surveying and engraving techniques, and in view of the speed at which they were completed, their accuracy is remarkable. They mark the boundaries of the counties, hundreds and parishes, churches and chapels, castles and quarries, farmhaouses and gentlemen’s seats, heaths and common land, woods, parliamentary representatives and distances between towns. The price of 3 guineas each compares with the the first edition Ordnance Survey sheets of 7s 6d, though the latter did not relate to complete counties.