Greenwood’s large-scale map of Lincolnshire
By GREENWOOD, Christopher, 1830
Map of the County of Lincolnshire from An Actual Survey Made in the Years 1827 & 1828, By C. & J. Greenwood. Most Respectfully Dedicated to the Nobility, Clergy & Gentry of the County By the Propreitors Greenwood & Co.
- Author: GREENWOOD, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Published, Regent Street, Pall Mall
- Publication date: Feby. 24th, 1830.
- Physical description: Large scale engraved map, dissected and mounted on linen, fine original hand-colour view of Lincoln cathedral to lower left, key to map lower right, edged in green silk, folding into green morocco pull-off slipcase, gilt, spine in seven compartments, gilt.
- Dimensions: 2080 by 1540mm (82 by 60.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1888
The Greenwoods started in 1817 with Lancashire and Yorkshire and by 1831 they had covered 34 counties. Their maps were masterpieces of surveying and engraving techniques, and in view of the speed at which they were completed, their accuracy is remarkable. They mark the boundaries of the counties, hundreds and parishes, churches and chapels, castles and quarries, farmhouses and gentlemen’s seats, heaths and common land, woods, parliamentary representatives and distances between towns. The price of 3 guineas each compares with the first edition Ordnance Survey sheets of 7s 6d, though the latter did not relate to complete counties.
Scale: 2 inches to 1 statute mile.