Map of the County Palatine of Lancaster from an actual Survey made in the Years 1818, By C. Greenwood, Wakefield. Drawn by R. Creighton, 38 Lisle Street London.
- Author: GREENWOOD, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Published by the Proprietors, W. Fowler & C. Greenwood, Wakefield, Leicester Square
- Publication date: Dec. 1st, 1818.
- Physical description: Large engraved map on six sheets, dissected and mounted on linen, in two sections, original outline hand colour, edged in linen, housed in original quarter calf slipcase, brown marbled paper boards, lettered in gilt to spine, rubbed and scuffed.
- Dimensions: 2100 by 1390mm (82.75 by 54.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12181
The Greenwoods started in 1817 with Lancashire and Yorkshire and by 1831 they had covered 34 counties. Their maps were masterpieces of surveying and engraving techniques, and in view of the speed at which they were completed, their accuracy is remarkable. They mark the boundaries of the counties, hundreds and parishes, churches and chapels, castles and quarries, farmhouses and gentlemen’s seats, heaths and common land, woods, parliamentary representatives and distances between towns. The price of 3 guineas each compares with the the first edition Ordnance Survey sheets of 7s 6d, though the latter did not relate to complete counties.