George Bauerkeller’s rare and strikingly modern plan of Vienna
By BAUERKELLER, George, 1840
Neuester Plan von Wien und Dessen 34 Vorstädten, in Relief.
- Author: BAUERKELLER, George
- Publication place: Paris
- Publisher: C.R. Brunnarius and G. Bauerkeller
- Publication date: c.1843
- Physical description: Embossed chromolithograph plan.
- Dimensions: 560 by 700mm (22 by 27.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2117
Little is known about the Bauerkeller cartographic publishing firm. Headed by Georg Bauerkeller, they were apparently based in Darmstadt, Germany, just south of Frankfurt, but also maintained an office in Paris. They were active for about 30 years from the 1830s through the 1860s, and produced maps, plans, and small atlases. They are best known for the maps they produced using the ‘geomontographie’ — the process employed in the production of the present map.
Rare. The OCLC only records two institutional copies: those in the BNF and Bern University Library.