George Bauerkeller’s rare and strikingly modern plan of Hamburg
By BAUERKELLER, George, 1843
Neuester Plan der frenen Stadt Hamburg in Relief. Farbendruck und Prägung von Bauerkeller & Cie. in Paris.
- Author: BAUERKELLER, George
- Publication place: Paris
- Publisher: Bauerkeller & Cie.
- Publication date: c1843
- Physical description: Embossed chromolithograph plan.
- Dimensions: 600 by 450mm (23.5 by 17.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2113
Little is known about the Bauerkeller cartographic publishing firm. Headed by Georg Bauerkeller, they were apparently based in Darmstadt, Germany, just south of Frankfurt, but also maintained an office in Paris. They were active for about 30 years from the 1830s through the 1860s, and produced maps, plans, and small atlases. They are best known for the maps they produced using the ‘geomontographie’ — the process employed in the production of the present map.
Rare. The OCLC only records three institutional copies, those in the BL, the BNF, and the Bavarian State Library.
- BL Cartographic Items Maps 146.e.1.