George Bauerkeller’s rare and strikingly modern plan of Frankfurt
By BAUERKELLER, George, 1840
Neuester Plan der frenen Stadt Frankfurt am Main und Sachsenhausen.
- Author: BAUERKELLER, George
- Publication place: Paris
- Publisher: C.R. Brunnarius, and G. Bauerkeller & Cie.
- Publication date: c.1840
- Physical description: Embossed chromolithograph plan.
- Dimensions: 440 by 560mm (17.25 by 22 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2112
Little is known about the Bauerkeller cartographic publishing firm. Headed by Georg Bauerkeller, they were apparently based in Darmstadt, Germany, just south of Frankfurt, but also maintained an office in Paris. They were active for about 30 years from the 1830s through the 1860s, and produced maps, plans, and small atlases. They are best known for the maps they produced using the ‘geomontographie’ — the process employed in the production of the present map.
Rare. OCLC only records one institutional copy, that in the BNF.