From ‘Johnson’s New Illustrated Family Atlas’
By COLTON, Joseph Hutchins, 1865
Johnson’s Japan Nippon, Kiusiu, Sikok, Yesso and the Japanese Kuriles (N°113).
- Author: COLTON, Joseph Hutchins
- Publication place: New York
- Publisher: A. J. Johnson
- Publication date: c1865
- Physical description: Hand-coloured lithograph map, inset map of Yesso and the Japanese Kuriles, and Nagasaki, text to verso, loss and a few tears to lower margin, effecting image.
- Dimensions: 350 by 425mm (13.75 by 16.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15868
First published by Joseph Hutchins Colton in 1856 in ‘Colton’s Atlas of the World’, the present map bears the imprint and name in the title of Alvin Jewett Johnson. It would appear that the cash-strapped Colton, in 1859, franchised his cartographic plates to Johnson, and his partner Ross C. Browning in return for some degree of financial support. The plates were later transfer to lithographic plates, by Johnson, in order to dramatically increase production.