Dighton’s caricature map of England and Wales
By DIGHTON, Robert, 1795
Geography Bewitched or a droll Caricature Map of England and Wales.
- Author: DIGHTON, Robert
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed for Bowles & Carver, No. 69 St. Paul’s Church Yard
- Publication date: 4 June 1804.
- Physical description: Engraved caricature map with fine original hand-colour.
- Dimensions: 210 by 180mm. (8.25 by 7 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12177
The map like much of Dighton’s caricatures would be published as a print by Carrington Bowles (fl.1752–1793). Carington Bowles worked initially with his father, John Bowles, before leaving to take over his uncle Thomas Bowles (II)‘s business, circa 1762. Carington Bowles was one of the most active mapsellers and publishers of his day in London. His business was continued by his some Henry Carington Bowles who, in partnership with Samuel Carver, continued to publish maps and prints well into the nineteenth century.