Dedicated to the young and sickly Duke of Gloucester
By WELLS, Edward, 1700
A New Map of the East Indies Taken from Mr. de Fer’s Map of Asia, Shewing their Cheif [sic] Divisions, Cities, Towns, Ports, rivers, Mountains, &c. Dedicated to His Highness William Duke of Gloucester.
- Author: WELLS, Edward
- Publication place: [London
- Publisher: T.W. for J. Walthoe, R. Wilkin, J. and J. Bonwicke, S. Birt, T. Ward and E. Wicksteed
- Publication date: from 1700].
- Physical description: Engraved map with contemporary hand-colour in outline.
- Dimensions: 420 by 580mm. (16.5 by 22.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17594
Based on the lower right-hand portion of Nicolas de Fer’s ‘L’Asie Dresse selon les dernieres Relations et Suivant les Nouvelles Decouvertes’, first published in 1700, but reissued for nearly two decades afterwards. The map extends from Persia in the west to southern China and the Philippines in the east, and includes the southernmost island of Timor.