Cuba — Tanamo Bay
By WALKER, John, 1824
The Port of Tanamo on the North Coast of Cuba From a Spanish printed Plan.
- Author: WALKER, John
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Hydrographical Office of the Admiralty
- Publication date: 22nd July 1824.
- Physical description: Engraved map
- Dimensions: 190 by 285mm. (7.5 by 11.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11689
The title states that the chart was copied from a ‘Spanish printed Plan’, this refers to the ‘Portulano de la America Setentrional’ a work published by the Spanish Admiralty in 1809, and containing 111 charts of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. A second edition of the pilot was published in 1818 with 121 charts.
John Walker, founding members of the Royal Geographic Society, was a leading mapmaker and engraver working in London in the first half of the nineteenth century. He is known to have produced numerous charts for James Horsburgh and the Admiralty.