Cuba — Rio Navas and Rio Maravi
By WALKER, J., 1824
The Port of Navas on the North Coast of Cuba; The Port of Maravi on the N.E. Coast of Cuba
- Author: WALKER, J.
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Capt Hurd RN Hydrographic Officer to the Admiralty
- Publication date: 16th Dec 1824.
- Physical description: Engraved chart.
- Inventory reference: 11675
The title states that the chart was copied from a ‘Spanish printed Plan’, this refers to the ‘Portulano de la America Setentrional’ a work published by the Spanish Admiralty in 1809, and containing 111 charts of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. A second edition of the pilot was published in 1818 with 121 charts.
John Walker, founding members of the Royal Geographic Society, was a leading mapmaker and engraver working in London in the first half of the nineteenth century. He is known to have produced numerous charts for James Horsburgh and the Admiralty.